Northern Ireland Board & Policy Officer
The Northern Ireland Board advises Council on issues relating to membership and policy in Northern Ireland
The Board is composed of eight members with a national overview. A BAOT/UNISON steward sits on the Northern Ireland Board. All BAOT members in Northern Ireland elect a Council member for Northern Ireland who also sits on the Northern Ireland Board as either Chair or Vice-Chair.
The Northern Ireland Board is comprised of:
- the member elected as Council member for Northern Ireland
- a member practicing in a senior occupational therapy role
- the BAOT/UNISON regional steward
- a member with research and development experience
- a professional practitioner working with Children, Young People & Families
- a professional practitioner working in the community sector
- a professional member for Innovative Practice
- The OT Management Forum Representative
Vacancies on the Northern Ireland Board are published every January
Potential members of the Northern Ireland Board are nominated for three year terms. Where more than one member is nominated for the same position elections take place which are open to all the members in a particular region. The dates of these elections are published at the same time as these vacancies in Occupational Therapy News (OTnews).
Kate Lesslar is the Northern Ireland Policy Officer
The Northern Ireland Policy Officer supports the Northern Ireland Board and is a representative of the British Association and College of Occupational Therapists in Northern Ireland. The Northern Ireland Policy Officer focuses on consulting members and influencing national policy in relation to the Northern Ireland Assembly, advising the Northern Ireland Board and the Professional Practice department within the College.
- Carolyn Maxwell, Council Member and Chair
- Dr Shelley Crawford, Member for Research & Development and Vice Chair
- Aisling Curran, Occupational Therapy Management Forum Representative
- Paula Haughey, Member Practicing in a Senior Occupational Therapy Role
- Heather McFarlane, Member for Professional Practice - Community
- Geraldine Teague, Member for Professional Practice - Children and Young People
- Martina Tierney, Member for Innovative Practice
- Ruth Watkins, BAOT/Unison stewards representative
- Hazel Winning, ACAHP representative (co-opted)
- Greg Kelly, Member with Education Experience (1 year fixed term)
If you are interested in taking up a position on the Northern Ireland Board please contact any board member, or Kate Lesslar, via Lorinda Sharkey.